The past couple of weeks, Canada has been in the news on the regular, which is fairly unusual especially for causing ruckus. The Canadian Truckers who are protesting against Covid-19 vaccine mandates and general frustrations with the restrictions related to Covid of the last few years. So, if you are planning on making your way downtown, be sure to be walkin' fast, because the chances of being stuck in traffic for hours on end could be high. Now what effect do these protests actually have on the U.S.? Let's talk about it!
Don't get me wrong, I love a good protest as much as the next gal, and usually I am one to not cross the picket fence, however, this one I might not be able to get behind. I think we have all had our fair share of frustrations these past two years, and rightfully so. Governments setting up harsh restrictions, then all of a sudden loosening them to just implementing them again the next week. It's hard to keep up, especially when it comes to being a "essential worker". However, even if Prime Minister Justin Trudeau did change u the vaccine mandate for truckers (which they are protesting against) They would still be required to be vaccinated to enter the U.S.
We might not be bothered to much by the protests in Ottawa, however it does affect our bottom line. The truckers are blocking the main bridge where a quarter of all U.S.-Canada trade comes across (the Ambassador Bridge, which connects Detroit and Windsor). The main industry disrupted by it is the auto industry and even just a few delays of certain parts can successfully shut down factories for a certain amount of time. And this is the main reason why the U.S. is getting involved, i'm sure that if these protests were to only affect Canada, we wouldn't blink twice, but it is hitting our economy significantly. The protests also might end up trickling down to the U.S. since just earlier today USnews reported that the D.C. police is "[bracing] for possible trucker protests." But we'll just have to wait and see.
Come to think of it, I have never seen any news article about Canada causing drama/ruckus until recently. I totally agree with your statement regarding the frustrations of the last two years - it has been extremely overwhelming and frustrating when mandates/restrictions are lifted just to come back in a few weeks. This trucker dilemma is going to continue to create bigger problems that will affect trade, as well as the United States' economy. Ultimately, people should do what they believe in, but if someone's job or place of living requires a vaccine, then they need to quit or leave instead of causing drama that majorly affects others - this would be too easy, though. Overall, really great post!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey,
DeleteHad a few too many spelling mistakes so I decided to repost.
This story has been one that has been growing steadily the past few weeks, and it has gotten much international attention. Speaking to the comment above me, I have a hard time generalizing vaccines because everybody that takes them are affected in different ways. For example, let us look at Aaron Rodgers a little bit. Rodgers has stated multiple times now that he is allergic to various ingredients in the vaccines offered, so according to the CDC guidelines, he should not take the jab. However, people were angry at him for lying about his vaccination status, but if you look at it from his perspective it is a lose/lose situation. If he tells the truth, then people think he is lying about that just so he doesn’t have to take the vaccine. If he lies, like he did, then people are angry at him anyway. So, I think there is more to it than just saying if it's required take it or stop complaining/causing drama because vaccines affect people in different ways.
@Nikolai - I was not saying that people should just shut up and take it, which is why I stated that people should do what they believe in whether it is getting vaccinated or not. "Ultimately, people should do what they believe in, but if someone's job or place of living requires a vaccine, then they need to quit or leave instead of causing drama that majorly affects others" is what I wrote. Nowhere in my comment did I state that people should shut up and take the vaccine. People should have a choice and I do not believe in mandating vaccines. If your job is mandating vaccines and that is not something you believe in, why would you continue to stay there? Why continue to work for a company that is enforcing/mandating something that goes against your beliefs? You took my comment way out of hand and completely misinterpreted what I was trying to say. Do what makes you happy at the end of the day. Thanks!
ReplyDelete